VOTE! September 14, 2021
On Sept 14st you have the privilege of letting your voice be known in California politics… by voting. A special election will be held, to determine if California citizens want to recall Governor Gavin Newsom or have him remain in office. Historically, special elections have a low rate of turn out…usually 40%. Will you vote?
When Did You Get The Right to Vote?
The right to vote has a long and labored history. When was your right granted?
- 1776 – free white male property owners
- 1792 – property ownership requirement eliminated; all white males allowed to vote
- 1810 – Literate Mexican male property owners granted right to vote
- 1869 – African American males granted right to vote
- 1882 – Chinese Americans denied the right to vote
- 1920 – Women allowed to vote
- 1924 – Native Americans given right to vote (in most states)
- 1952 – Japanese Americans granted citizenship and therefore the right to vote.
- 1964 – Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed, prohibiting discrimination based on gender, religion, race, and nationality
- 1965 – The Voting Rights Act further strengthens the right to vote for all citizens
- 1971 – 18 year olds allowed to vote
- 1980 – Americans with Disabilities Act assures voting access to disabled citizens
Why Are We Voting on Sept 14th?
Governor Gavin Newsom has been placed on a special election ballot to be recalled. Why have 2 million citizens signed a recall petition? These are some of the reasons:
- Extreme government overreach through Executive orders
- Water misuse (refusing to set up water claim system even though taxes are collected to do that)
- Fighting to STOP Central Valley farmers from getting the water they need
- Mandatory mail-in voting
- On-going shutdowns
- Loss of jobs
- Loss of small business
- AB 5 affecting truckers and independent contractors
- Highest homelessness in the nation
- AB 145 decriminalizing sexual crimes against children
- Planned release of 90,000 criminals from prison
- Highest state income tax in the nation
- Prop 47 reducing felonies to misdemeanors for violent crimes
- Highest gas tax in the nation before Corona Virus
- Illegal immigrants given income tax refunds, medical insurance, housing, education, food stamps, and cell phones
- Funds for bullet train to nowhere
Make sure You Vote, No Matter Your Position
There are more reasons stated to recall the governor. Whether you wish to see Governor Newsom recalled and replaced, or to stay in office, make your voice known. Tell your friends, remind your neighbors, phone your grandparents, inform everyone… VOTE!